Greetings, Griffs,
To be appointed to the Alumni Association Board is a great honor. I have no words to describe the privilege it is to lead a groupSlater consisting of 25,000 Griffons during our centennial year. This is our opportunity to shine and make a real difference, not only for our University and the City of St. Joseph, but for us as graduates of a school I’m proud to call my alma mater.

Diane Holtz did an outstanding job of preparing a commemorative centennial edition of the Missouri Western Magazine that came out in February. If you set it aside to read at a later time, I suggest that time is now. The magazine is loaded with pictures and stories that will make you smile and reminisce no matter when you attended our University. While chances are pretty strong that I won’t be around for the next centennial, I would hope that I play a part in its success.

The Centennial Capital Campaign is not only underway, but it is out of the gate like a rocket.  One donor anonymously pledged $10 million. Let me tell you two things: one, that person is not me; and two, their money will make an impact for the next 100 years. Mine will too. While it won’t be one of the larger contributions, it will be part of what continues to make our University special.

Times are tough, so maybe you can’t donate at this time. There are other ways to help. When I screen resumes for positions at my job, one that reads “MWSU” will always be forwarded to the hiring manager. If I get a resume that could use some help, a personal call is in order. The best thing we can do as alums is to make sure our graduates get their careers started.
When you get Director of Alumni Relations Colleen Kowich’s Griff Gab on Fridays, look for an opportunity to get back to campus or attend an alumni event.  And if you don’t like coming alone, find a former classmate and invite them.

Thanks for all you do.

David Slater ’82
President, Alumni Association
Parent of two Griffon grads
All of us Faithful, Proud and True